Friday, February 13, 2009

ASD Diagnosis

Yesterday, Nathan had his assessment and the verdict is in, he is definitely on the autism spectrum.

Now that we have an official diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder, we can start getting him the help that he needs. We're looking into the options and right now, we're thinking speech therapy along with some play-oriented IBI (Intensive Behavioural Intervention). It's fairly clear to us at this point, that he's going to be higher-functioning than his brother since he has much less severe issues, so it'll be a matter of finding the right option for his age and level. Most children aren't diagnosed for another two to three years, so there will definitely be a challenge.

No matter how much we prepared for this, it was still hard to hear. I love both my children and I know that they're going to do all right but I can't help but be angry that this has happened to them. In the race of life, they've been handed a backpack full of heavy stones and told to compete. They can still reach all the goalposts as anyone else, but it's going to be harder and take more work. It doesn't seem fair that they've been handed this extra challenge.

I will do whatever I have to in order to give them the best possible chance in life. That is my promise to both of them.

2 comments:

macjo said...

I'm so sorry you got the diagnosis. But I know how well equipped you all are to deal with this.
Jocelyn

macjo said...

And the girls and I will continue to enjoy playing with both your wonderful boys.